Sunday, July 31, 2011

Some weekend projects...

So this weekend -- no matter how hard I try to resist doing "teacher stuff" -- I just cant. My wonderful step dad and boyfriend helped me starting building my shelves yesterday (2). We stained them and will assemble them today. Well--he may assemble them--I may take a day to sit by the pool :) :) Will post pictures when they are done. My classroom provides built ins--but not enough to store my book baskets for my reading corner or my listening center. Paid 70$ for the pine wood at the lumber store down the street. Not bad considering most book shelves are ridiculously overpriced and use horrible wood.

While my step dad (yes, yes I live at home still -- and my parents love to be involved in everything I do) was at lowes picking up some screws for the shelves, he came across the CUTE chairs. They are little bit smaller than the chairs my fourth graders usually sit in--however, they are very strong and they fit in so well with my "Library Park" theme--I was going to go with a children's park bench--but guess what?? These chairs with $7.36 a pop! Hope they make my student's bottom's happy!! :)
Also--my girlfriend dragged me to the mall the other day  (literally---didn't want to go, all my money goes to my classroom instead of my wardrobe right now) --and we came across a brand new store, HOBBY LOBBY! May be my new guilty pleasure. I went to Michaels 5 minutes before I walked into this store--NO COMPARISON (even with the teacher discount!) I bought replacement adhesive pads for my cricut, replacement blades, 3 packs of cardstock paper, paint, an unfinished wooden treasure chest and crate (for brain bubbles) --all for....GUESS???? $40.00 --This would be almost impossible anywhere else. Replacement blades alone are normally 10 bucks. This place was absolutely insane! If I had a house to furnish, this is where I would be shopping because all their decor is the absolute cutest. 

My brain bubbles crate is a tiny bit smaller than what is on Tonya's site--but I painted it a nice "Morning Blue". I also did the treasure chest in a bright bright metallic gold color. However--I need help on this one. I am not too sure how I want to implement this in my classroom. Any ideas?? My school already does tickets with our mascot on them to implement PBS--kids get called down every week or so. So--I definitely don't want to be managing the passing out of two different ticket types...I was thinking maybe those students who "stay on green" all week.  THOUGHTS??? 

P.S. How do I get my blog around? I want to be able to share more things with everyone--at the same time I want more people to share with!! I am not too good at this blogging bit yet...but I am getting there! Still can't figure out how to display the grab my button thing everyone has got going on. I grew up in the computer age--you think I would know.


Off to the pool---excuse any spelling/grammatical errors--quick post for me! Last week of summer school for me this week! Everyone enjoy summer while it's still here!

2 comments:

  1. Those chairs from Lowe's are AMAZING!!! I think I may have to stop by there tomorrow and look for those. I'm in love!!!

    AND the best way to get more followers is to start reading and commenting on other blogs. I found that when I put myself out there, people started to read mine!!! Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ashley! Just comment on people's blogs, and leave your link! They will check it out!

    Glad to have found another 4th grade teacher :)

    ReplyDelete